Dr. Chen, Creator of "The Double Double"
1. When did you become an Ice Cream Lover? – Really, when haven’t I been an Ice Cream Lover? I’d have to say, it was love at first bite.
2. Favorite All Time Flavor? – Now this is a tough question to answer, since so many great flavors come to mind. In terms of things you can get at any grocery store, coffee Oreo, coffee Heath bar crunch, mint chocolate chip, and mocha almond fudge are always welcome. When I was a graduate student at Duke, I dated a woman who owned a gourmet ice cream store, and her Rossini’s Dark Chocolate #2, fresh off the dasher, was pretty amazing: extremely rich, smooth, and complex. I like spicy flavors, and have had some excellent cinnamon and even better fresh ginger ice cream. I think my all time favorite was a fresh mango ice cream that had absolutely explosive flavor.
3. Favorite eCreamery flavor? – You guys made me a custom flavor that I called double – double because it combined coffee and mocha as base flavors, with premium chocolate brownies plus chocolate chunks mixed in. That turned out well. Really well.
4. What is your favorite “Ice Cream related memory or tradition”? – I have fond memories of sitting on top of a wooden ice cream machine filled with a rock salt/ice slurry, turning the crank, working up an appetite for the fresh, soft ice cream. Also, I must say that a deciding factor in my choice to go to Dartmouth College was that an alumnus had bequeathed them a fund that provided unlimited soft ice cream at all meals in the dining halls. That decision turned out well – it’s a great place to go for an undergrad education.
5. What has been the best part of being a 6 month Flavor of the Month Member? – Creating premium ice cream flavors is fun!
6. Any other Food Loves besides ice cream? – Since I live in Baltimore, I have to plug the crab cakes! And shrimp salad, Peking duck, snow pea tips, fresh Copper River red salmon, roast lamb…